November 28, 2011

Consider Your Ways

"You have sown much, but harvest little; you eat, but there is not enough to be satisfied; you drink, but there is not enough to become drunk; you put on clothing, but no one is warm enough; and he who earns, earns wages to put into a purse with holes." Haggai 1:6 (NASB)

Have you heard the phrase “spinning your wheels?”  That is the first thing that popped into my head when the pastor read this verse a few Sunday’s ago in church. Perhaps that is how the message was intended when written by a little known prophet named Haggai. 

Haggai – really?  What were his parents thinking when they named him that! I guess they had good intentions as the Hebrew meaning for Haggai is festive. His message was one of completing the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem. I imagine that could be a festive task!  But I digress. . .

This verse sounds an awful lot like what goes on today. Especially the part about earned wages going into a purse with holes in it! Never satisfied with what we have, longing for something more and/or something different.

Yet what intrigued me about this verse was the two “thus says the Lord’s” that come directly before and after.  In both verses 5 and 7, we see “Thus says the Lord of Hosts, Consider your ways.”

Most of life’s necessities are made up from sowing, eating, drinking, clothing and earning wages. Nothing strange or unusual there. However, I felt like God’s message for me was to “consider my ways.” How am I getting these things done? What attitude is displayed while pursuing these goals? Maybe I feel like I am spinning my wheels most of the time, because of the way I approaching and carry out these tasks.

Now I can whine with the best of you. No time, too many distractions, too many pop-up circumstances have invaded the realm of my sanity lately. In fact, it took me a month before I resumed writing. Poor baby – consider your ways.

Well, I have considered my ways. Woe unto me! I have a serious undertaking because considering my ways is one thing, acting to correct my ways is another. At least, I proceed to make some headway – as I have put my thoughts to paper once again.

What is it today that you need to consider? What “ways” of yours are getting in your way? Consider your ways. Consider His ways. Ask God for help and spin your wheels no more!

 Love, Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment