September 26, 2011

Humility Squares

“Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;” Philippians 2:3 (NASB)

I’ve spent the last few minutes trying to figure out how to make the point of this message flourish literarily. It thrills me to put a spin on words and make them jump off the page, or jump at least to be noticed.

Today it doesn’t seem to be happening. Not sure why – but then again . . .

Last week, I was at a meeting with three other godly women when someone started talking about quilting circles. Apparently, she was acquainted with a quilting group who did exquisite work. Despite the groups’ meticulous and flawless work handiwork, they always inserted a piece of material just a bit off pattern or off center on purpose.

At first, I couldn’t figure out why anyone would do this one purpose. I get in enough trouble doing something like that on accident! But these ladies had a method behind what I thought was madness and they called it the humility square.

This humility square reminded them of their human imperfection before God regardless of the quality of the works of their hands. They remembered their hands could not have worked as wonderfully as they did without His grace and strength.

Makes you think – doesn’t it?

Do you have a humility square in the quilt of your life? You know, it’s the square that reminds you that you are a work in progress? Is there a square that keeps you from taking glory from God or credit from another? Good questions, worthy of answering.

To be truthful, I’d love to expound on this for another page or two, but I can’t. I believe today I am just supposed to leave this with you, and leave it with me, God will do the rest.

Lovingly,
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment