August 08, 2011

Eat Love Pray

I missed writing last week as there was much to do and much self-inflicted pressure to do it. Interestingly enough, the book and subsequent movie entitled, “Eat Love Pray” is about a woman who was feeling particularly pressured to be married and have children. I gathered that from reading a chapter two excerpt on Amazon.com. Supposedly at some point she takes off in search of “everything” in Italy, India and Indonesia. I have not read the book nor have I indulged in the movie. But the title caught my attention.

Regardless of how Elizabeth Gilbert’s story unfolds, I think she may have something in her title.

Personally, I cannot think of three more appropriate things to do! I confess – I love to eat!! Food is wonderful, at least food that I like! It is needed to sustain my existence and it’s delectable to consume. Of course, I am wary as to what and how much I consume – sort of!

Then there is love! I love to love people. Now I am still a work on progress on this one. But bottom line, it is more enjoyable to love people than to hate them.

Last but certainly not least is prayer. Where would I be without prayer? Where would you? I need to be able to pray. I need others to pray for me. Prayer is my life line with my Father and my Savior. It is not enough to know they exist, but I desire personal communication with them. Prayer is simply talking to my God, my creator, the lover of my soul. It just doesn’t get any better than that – except when I get better at doing it!

There is Scriptural evidence that Eat Love Pray is an effective principle in our lives. It was the backbone of the earliest church. Think I flipped my wig? Not so! Look with me at Acts 2:42-45:

“They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles. And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.”

The early church ate together. They enjoyed meals together. I am a firm believer that abundant ministry can occur over meals. I have seen it happen. All of us have to eat, so we might as well make meals as meaningful as we can.

Have you ever taken a hurting friend to lunch and just talked? Have you ever prayed for the server who is working to pay her rent and school tuition? Do you thank the Lord for providing the food in front of you at each meal – which is really something most of us take for granite? The early church did.

The early church loved each other. The loved each other by making sure everyone’s needs were met. When was the last time you sold something and gave the profit to another for their needs? When did I? The early church did. They also loved by loving God together and pouring over His Word. They loved by sharing fellowship together. As Christ commanded, they loved Him and they loved each other.

The early church prayed. This was bread and butter for them not an afterthought or something engaged in simply to check it off a spiritual to-do list. In fact, the Scripture is clear: they were devoted to EAT LOVE PRAY.

What are you devoted to this day?

In lovingly devotion,
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment