April 25, 2011

Nana, Can You See God?

“Mary Magdalene *came, announcing to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and that He had said these things to her.” John 20:18 (NASB)

Sometimes I believe there is nothing in the world more inquisitive than a child, or in my case a grandchild. Kylie and I sat at the dining room table before church a few weeks ago eating supper. Over her chicken nuggets, she asked me, “Nana, can you see God?”

With my best Nana game face on, I told her that was an easy question but a hard one too. I pointed to the large Crepe Myrtle tree outside the dining room window and said, “Ky – do you see that tree?” She shook her head up and down acknowledging she did.

“Well,” I continued, “I have never seen God like I am looking at you, but I see God when I look at that tree.” She immediately stopped chewing and her eyes became very large spheres of blue. Oh rats, I knew exactly what she was thinking! “NO! God isn’t THE tree!” I replied. Her face softened in visible relief as she thought I meant the tree was God. I went on to explain how I could see in God’s nature since that was the first thing that popped into my head.

The conversation continued with Nana explaining to an eight year old, that you can see God in His creation and in His Word. But it takes practice and growth. That’s why we go to church, read the Bible and pray so we can hear God and see God working in our lives.

Well, this started a barrage of questions like “Are there animals in heaven?” and “Is there food in heaven?” The questions came rapidly until our arrival at church. Ahh! The wonderful world of grandparenting, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world!

Today is the day after Resurrection Sunday. If it were raining cats and dogs, which it isn’t, it still would be a lovely day. Today is the day that God made, we’d be wise to rejoice and be glad, not to mention thankful for it!

Yesterday in Bible Study we talk about the fact that we serve a God who knows what it means to suffer. We reviewed with heavy hearts the things that created grief in God’s heart and of course, Jesus sacrifice counted heavy among them. But we also talked about the results of His suffering on Calvary. Results that could only occurred because of the third day resurrection.

How would I have answered my little Kylie without the knowledge of the Resurrection? Without the final piece of God’s amazing plan in place, there would be no answer.

I suppose we could all list various reasons about the Resurrection means to each of us personally. It could mean power or peace. But this year God gave me the same meaning it had for Mary Magdalene over 2000 years ago. It means I can live every day saying, “I have seen the Lord!”

What about you?

With Love, Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment