December 14, 2010

Christmas Countdown – Part II Christmas Lights

“And Jesus again spoke to them saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.” John 8:12 (NASB)

Do you have a favorite part of Christmas tradition? I dare say most people do. Some like the smell of pine from a freshly cut tree brought inside then decorated with shiny babbles and bows. Others enjoy the rush of shopping for just the right gift for the loved ones in their lives. Children enjoy the thoughts of a mystical Santa leaving presents on Christmas morning. Of course, there are the family get-togethers to relish and the sacred music that fills the air.

I like all of the above. However, my favorite things are the lights. I confess to an on-going love affair with lights. I have had this fascination since childhood. I fondly remember the coast-to-coast drive our family made as we moved from California to Florida. I recall passing airports at night and seeing all those beautiful blue lights on the ground. To me, they were stars that had fallen from heaven.

I like the flash of lights from a marquee sign. I love streetlights against a darkened sky. I am enamored with the stars on a clear crisp night. Have you seen Las Vegas or NYC at night? I have but that’s another story. What about Disney at night? Better yet, Disney at night during the holidays. Yes, Christmas lights are my favorites. The blinking multi-colored lights on houses and trees, well, they make my heart twinkle!

There is something magical, romantic and transporting about a plethora of lights twinkling in the dark. There is something spiritual in being reminded that because of light – the dread of darkness disappears. Actually that is more than simply spiritual, it is Biblical.

Jesus directly told us that He is the Light of the World. He is the Light that shines in the darkness and in Him; we never have to fear the darkness. We fear not the darkness that comes without light and not the darkness that comes from evil in the world.

The lights of Christmas remind me that Jesus in The Light and that Jesus is MY Light. Is He yours? There is no better day to start an on-going love affair with the Light, than today.

Jesus, You make my heart twinkle!
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment