May 03, 2010

Go and Take

“And now, O Israel, listen to the statues and the judgments which I am teaching you to perform, in order that you may live and go in and take possession of the land which the Lord, the God of your fathers, is giving you. “ Deut. 4:1 (NASB)

The Christian life is supposed to be one of selfless service. Unfortunately I have not perfected that standard in my life. I am still that proverbial work in progress and I do try! Although some days more than others. Still I have a great example in Christ to learn from. Jesus said even He did not come to be served, but to serve. Christ gave, so we are to give. Giving can be extremely rewarding. But it can also be exhausting. Therefore, I must admit, that hidden selfish part of my heart was delighted to find a verse where I get to go in and take.

It sounds selfish I know but admit it my friend, there are times you’d rather take than give! So why not take this verse today and let me give you what I took from it!

Okay, it’s Monday – not everyone’s favorite day. Perhaps among all the giving you will to do, you just might need a bit of “take” for your soul. There are several points for us to see today. Now I know I’m getting preachy – but this SOOO brings out the teacher in me!

#1 Listen – Spend some time listening to God. You might recognize this as prayer. Hopefully you didn’t enter the day without speaking to the Father and then waiting for Him to speak back! God has many things for you to know. Things like, He loves you! Don’t miss the opportunity to hear that. Even in the middle of all your busyness – set your heart and mind into listen mode. You might be surprised what He’ll say in-between answering the phone and typing reports.

#2 Perform – Obviously God has stuff for us to do. Maybe we need to make a phone call or speak to the person in the next cubicle. It could be a ministry or service at church or in the community. We won’t know what we need to perform, unless we first listen.

#3 Go in – I know, you don’t think you can go any more! You’re going far too much as it is. But in Christ – you can go the distance. You can’t perform without going. Once you have listened to God, who has revealed the task you are to perform – then go in and do it!

#4 Take possession - Yes, now that you’ve given yourself to God – it’s time to take! Take what? Take possession of that which He gives you! Possess what He has promised you! There is book full of promises to be had, we call it the Word. Go ahead – it’s okay to possess! Is there something you truly feel God calling you to do, but you have too many reservations? Doubts? Is there a blessing you are dying to behold but something is holding you back? Is there a ministry to pursue? If you have listened and felt God has given you the green light – go! Go in and take possession of that which God is giving to you!

I give you permission to be possessive about the possession God wants you to have! He loves you, He values your service and He wants to give to you. Then it’s our turn to give to Him – the glory that He richly deserves. Then we are better prepared to give to others. With God we can go and take so we are better able to go and give! Go ahead, it’s right there at your fingertips! What’s within your reach today?

Taking to give –
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment