December 21, 2009

It’s Good to be ME!

“…For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.” Luke 1:48b (NAS)

Somehow I caught a glimpse of a television commercial the other day that struck me the wrong way. I can’t tell you what it was for but I can tell you what it said and my impressions of the context. I saw a fairly attractive woman; likely in her 40’s or 50’s lounging around like Queen Sheba, talking to a handsome man. I got the impression she was vain, arrogant and spoiled – used to getting her own way. I gathered this from her posture and expression. She boldly turned to her paramour and exclaimed, “Oh! It’s good to be me!”

I don’t care to see that ad again. But it made me think. I think society is probably trapped in a Me-Syndrome and perhaps a lot of people feel like this woman for all the wrong reasons. Yet, I must admit, sometimes I think the same thing too. However, my reasons are quite different than the general population or this ad.

It kind of goes back to Mary, the mother of Jesus. Let us consider the circumstances she found herself in when she made this awesome statement found in Luke chapter one. Mary had an up-close and personal encounter of the divine kind when an angel of God informed her that she’d be mother to the Messiah.

She was engaged to Joseph, but not yet married when she conceived the Christ-Child by the Holy Spirit. But she knew the rules. Mary faced certain shame and disgrace from her family and her community. She also faced a possible death penalty for adultery. At the time of Luke 1:46-56, she had basically run away to her cousin’s house, all of this during her young teenage years. Care to imagine the pressure she might have felt?

Yet, amazed by the grace she had received, Mary cried forth, “My soul exalts the Lord and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior for He has had regard for the humble state of his servant.” [See Luke 1:46-48a]

Basically she was standing before God in all humility and submission exclaiming, “It’s good to be me!” Not a sign of vanity or self-accomplishment. Mary knew all the goodness she had been blessed with was not of herself but of God alone, for His holy purposes not her self glorification.

This Christmas, we find ourselves in much different times than in Christmas past. The economy has changed. Our politically leadership has changed. Our job situations have changed. Our families may have even changed and perhaps we are lacking some of our “Christmas spirit.”

Regardless of what our situation’s entail, it is because of Christmas – the birth of Christ, the Lord, our Savior – that we can state in reverence and awe, “It is good to be me!” Why?

Because of what the Lord has done and we will exalt His name and rejoice in His goodness and mercy.

Because when the darkness surrounds, His is the true Light and a sure hope.

Because like Mary, we can rest assured that whatever state we find ourselves in – God has victory in the situation at hand.

Merry Christmas my dear beloveds! For the Might One has done great things for all us – the greatest being the gift of love and eternal life through Christ Jesus the King of Kings and Lord of Lords! Forever may His name be lifted up and praised!

Love, Barbara

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a wonderful message! They always make me think.
    No matter what is happening in my family circle, it's Christmas and I can celebrate the birth of our Savior!

    ReplyDelete